Target Halloween Monster Mayhem
Ages0-15 months 15 months - 2 years 2-3 years 4-5 years 6-8 years 9-12 years Adults & kids together
OCT. 10 - 31: TARGET HALLOWEEN MONSTER MAYHEM
Magic, mystery and… MONSTERS! Have taken over the Children’s Museum of Houston as pandemonium is unleashed for three weeks during the “Halloween Monster Mayhem.” From October 10 to 31, 2017 we invite you to have a spine-tingling experience trick-or-treating, experimenting with monstrous matters, or participating in spirit-lifting activities. Guided by the dim lights of gaudy candelabras, wander through nerve-wracking havoc in search of goblin goodies, terrifying trinkets and more!
Target Special Halloween Activities:
- Go on a trick-or-treat monster hunt! 4 - 6 p.m. weekdays, 4 - 8 p.m. Thursdays, and all day weekends through Halloween Night!
- Get slime-soaked during our first open-to-the-public Slime-Off! on Oct. 28.
- Move your bones to funky tunes at our spooktacular Halloween Monster Mash Bash on Oct. 31 (open until 8 p.m.)
HALLOWEEN MONSTER MASH BASH
Howl at the moon while you bask in Houston’s ultimate Halloween party for kids. Let the ghoul times roll as you boogie to the hauntingly hip tunes of a wicked DJ along with monstrous characters during the Monster Mashup at 4:30 p.m. Move your bones in the Thriller Dance Party at 5 p.m. Encapsulate Glow in The Dark Monster Slime. Then, trick-or-treat the night away. Be sure to come dressed in your most boo-tiful or frightfully freaky costume! Event time: Oct. 31 from 3 – 8 p.m. all throughout the Museum.
Pool Noodle Monsters: Feathers, antennas and googly eyes! Come challenge your imagination to create the quirkiest creature of all out of a pool noodle.
Event time: Oct. 14 from 1-4 p.m. in the Alexander Art Academy.
Magic by Jaime: Jaime Salinas, an award-winning, sleight-of-hand magician, an illusionist will perform his spooktacular magic show.
Event times: Oct. 19 at 6:30 p.m., and Oct. 21 from 2 and 3 p.m. in the Brown Auditorium
Frightening Fashion Show: Strut, twirl, and dance across the stage in a frighteningly fierce fashion show. Create a costume out of recyclable materials, and strike a pose.Event time: Oct. 21 at 11 a.m. – 1 p.m. in Brown Auditorium.
Happy House: Watch before your very eyes the museum magically morph into the Happy House! Join Majic 102.1 FM, 97.9 The Box, and Boom 92 for a free, safe and friendly trick-or-treat party for your little ghosts, goblins, and ghouls.
Event time: 5 to 8 p.m.
Hustletown Hoopers: Hula, holla HOOP! Sparkle, sparkly twirl and shine on over to this LED Hula Hoop Show that’s sure to amaze.
Event times: Oct. 28 at noon and 1 p.m. in the Brown Auditorium
CRUNCH THE NUMBERS WONDERWEEK
Sponsored by ExxonMobil
Ghouls, goblins, and ghosts have descended upon the Children's Museum of Houston and we need your help to defeat them by using your math skills! Join us for a week-long filled with spooky sights during our Crunch the Numbers WonderWeek!
- Unleash the beast within you and turn your name into a frightening monster at Alexander Art Academy.
- Design your own wicked spider web by labeling the numbered dots around a web-slinging spider at EcoStation.
- Create a spook-tacular Halloween image by using symmetry at EcoStation.
- Come explore the physics behind how "ghost ring" vortexes move through the air at Science Station.
- Solve a puzzle and create hair-raising tangram animals at Junktion.
- Slithering snakes will delight you as you design your own snake bead bracelet at Junktion.
- Craft up your own sticky crawly spider web at Junktion.
IMAGINATION REANIMATION WONDERWEEK
OCT. 12 – 18
Sponsored by Reliant
It’s alive! This electrifying WonderWeek is sure to bring your creativity to life.
- Create a work of art that is simply glowing in Alexander Art Academy.
- Recreate an electrifying experiment as you make a paper snake come to life in EcoStation.
- Wire together your own freaky Frankenstein and bride of Frankenstein masks in Junktion.
- Make ghoulish monsters come alive in 3-D by creating hologram pyramids at Science Station.
- It may be October, but that doesn’t stop the Houston heat! Create a mini solar fan that’ll blow away ghosts in Chevron-Houston Texans Maker Annex.
BUBBLE TROUBLES WONDERWEEK
OCT. 19 – 25
Sponsored by Target
Double, double, toil and trouble! Shakespeare couldn’t have imagined the trouble brewing.
- Mix potions and crazy color concoctions as you create your own bubble art of bats, cats, and cauldrons in Alexander Art Academy.
- Experiment with magical potions of oil and water at EcoStation.
- Concoct enchanting Popsicle stick potion bottles with the eye of newt and scale of a dragon and encase the magic or piece together a craft stick creature at Junktion.
- Conjure up dry ice ghost bubbles and watch them vanish before your eyes in Science Station.
DOSE OF GROSS WONDERWEEK
Oct. 26 – Nov. 1
Sponsored by BASF in celebration of National Chemistry Week
This WonderWeek is sure to prescribe a dose of gross! We have a host of chemistry-related activities for you to explore.
- Create your own color-changing fizzy pumpkin at Alexander Art Academy.
- Learn about the chemistry of autumn colors and create leafy art at EcoStation.
- Have you ever wondered why your jack–o'–lantern’s smile quickly turns into a decomposing frown? Discover the demise of the jack-o’-lantern at EcoStation.
- Piece together a fabric mythical monster at Junktion.
- Create a kazoo-like instrument, and bring on the monsters at Junktion.
- Become one of the walking dead as you string together a monster mask at Junktion.
- Explore the science behind a belly ache and its “gas”tly effects at Science Station.
***Activities, events and times subject to change.