Camps on the Go!: Backyard Biology
*The event has already taken place on this date: Fri, 07/10/2020
No matter where you live, you have a natural world at your fingertips, right there at home! Plants, animals, fungi and so much more make their homes in cities and outside our homes. Join us for live animals, fascinating science, and fun activities, as we learn about the nature right outside your door!
- Monday - In the Garden
- Tuesday - Urban Wildlife
- Wednesday - Trees
- Thursday - Homes & Habitats
- Friday - Water
DAILY CAMP ACTIVITY MODULES
Campers can complete the daily camp activity modules in any order and over as much time as they like, picking and choosing their daily camp schedule to meet their interests and attention spans. Campers could spend from 3 to 4 hours a day engaged in the hands on activities and crafts and soaking up the information and humor in recorded and live video lessons with our Head Naturalist Eric Duran.
- 2 - 3 Video Lessons with our Head Naturalist, including live animals or demonstrations (10 – 30 min each)
- 1 – 2 Activities, Games or Demos to try at home (5 – 20 min each)
- 1 – 2 Crafts with instructions and materials (5 – 20 min each) that may inspire additional themed imaginative play
- 1 – 2 Self-guided Outdoor/Indoor Scavenger Hunts or Hikes (10 – 20 min each)
- An Interactive Zoom Discussion of the days projects with Eric and a live animal visitor (20 – 30 min)
- A Link Out to watch a short video on the topic on another educational site (ie: BBC Earth, PBS Nature, etc.)
CAMP ON THE GO! PROGRAM DETAILS
Camper ages: 5 to 10
Participants in our Camps on the Go! program will receive:
- an email with a private link to the camp wesbite “hub” for their Camp on the Go! topic. This website will house a grid with the weekly calendar of lesson and activity modules including:
- links to lesson and demo videos
- links to printable PDFs as needed for crafts and activities
- links to the daily interactive Zoom discussion (this is optional for those who are Zoom-ed out, but it will be an interactive time where campers can ask questions of Eric about the day’s topic, share with other campers the things they have done and/or created that day, etc.
- a packet of additional materials and resources needed to complete camp activities, which they will pick up from the Center in advance of their registered camp week. Details of packet pick up will be sent out in a Camps on the Go! email. These packets will contain:
- craft supplies
- activity supplies as needed
- printed materials as needed to accompany crafts and activities
CAMP ON THE GO! COSTS $75 Members / $85 Nonmembers (sibling discounts)
Register for our Camps on the Go! online at https://naturediscoverycenter.org/camps-on-the-go/
Camps on the Go! Packet Pick-Up*: Friday and Sunday before camp by arrangement (we are closed on Saturdays)
Campers must be registered by 5 pm the Thursday before camp starts to ensure they will have a packet available to pick-up over the weekend.
*Campers who register after 5 pm Sunday must arrange packet pick-up from the Center via email with Eric Duran, Camp Instructor. If you register for a camp later in the summer (after the initial offering date), any interactive/live videos from the camp will be recordings from the week the camp was originally offered.
*Times, dates, and prices of any activity posted to our calendars are subject to change. Please be sure to click through directly to the organization’s website to verify.